Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Needle felting and Valentine's Day necklaces

A couple of years ago, I started needle felting.  I saw it on Martha and I knew I had to try it out.  I got all the supplies that I needed and started felting away.  I love it for so many reasons.  First, I love to go thrifting for sweaters.  Second, usually I can find wool sweaters there fairly cheap.  Third, it's not all that hard.  I gathered the supplies I needed, a sweater, a barbed needle (for felting), wool roving, and a piece of foam to place between the sweater and to protect my work surface.  Now here is the important part, the needle is very sharp, you need to always keep an eye on where your fingers are.  I have pricked myself so many times, and let me tell you it hurts.  If you don't know already, you first need to felt your sweater.  This is easy.  Place it in the washer in hot water then simply put it in the dryer.  This process will felt it, basically shrinking it.  Then, place the wool roving on top of the sweater and push it through with the needle.  You will need to go over it many times to get it to adhere to the sweater.  This is all you need to do.  It's fast, easy earth friendly, and inexpensive.  Here are a few things I have made for the girls: 



I think I might put a few needle felted items in the shop.  I'm in love with wool!

No comments:

Post a Comment